Here are some of our most frequently asked questions! If you need any additional help, please use the links below!
Got a question?
Common KS Questions
Why the Beauty Industry?
If you want an industry that offers a wide-range of income potential, a flexible work schedule, and the opportunity to be your own boss … then this industry is PERFECT for you! This industry is consistently ranked as one of the best careers and provides individuals with an income that tends to be recession-proof. After all, people will always have hair and it will always need to be cut and styled!
As a licensed professional, you can live anywhere in the country*, have a variety of career options available to you, and get to be fun and creative with your work. What can be better than that?! *Check with the Board of Cosmetology in the state that you are moving to in order to find out if more training is required.*
Why Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology?
- 50+ years of proven experience in the cosmetology and beauty industry.
- Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology is a Redken Premier School! Get quality education from internationally-recognized powerhouse brands!
- Receive a tablet as part of your student kit!
- We have a business training program (ProsperU) that helps you become better prepared to succeed as a professional in the industry.
- The opportunity to compete in competitions.
- Help building a portfolio and creating a resume.
- The chance to participate in numerous community service projects and events.
Are you an accredited school?
All of our campuses have accreditation through the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS). This accrediting agency ensures that our schools maintain the highest level of excellence.
Where can I find a campus?
Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology has eight campuses scattered across the state of South Carolina. We are located in Columbia (we have two campuses here), Goose Creek, Florence, Greenville, North Augusta, Rock Hill, and Spartanburg.
Who’s the founder?
Mr. Kenneth Shuler is owner and CEO of the company. Mr. Shuler has been a huge influence in the beauty industry in South Carolina for 50+ years. He continues to be very active in everything that the schools do including student activities, curriculum, and hands-on training.
How long are the cosmetology and esthetics programs?
The State of South Carolina requires 450 hours of education, and passing the required testing, to become a licensed Esthetician. Our school requires that you obtain 600 hours of education to complete our program. The Esthetician curriculum below compares the amount of hours required by South Carolina, in each category, compared to our school’s requirements for completion.
The rationale for providing a longer program is based on the following:
- Many states require a minimum of 600 hours to become licensed. This allows for our graduates to receive reciprocity in those states without having to obtain more hours.
- We provide a business curriculum to our students as part of the Esthetics program. The program teaches the students to be more salon/spa ready upon graduation. This program is a 12-20 week course. Our curriculum for Esthetics was increased by 150 hours to add this program alone.
Are evening classes available?
Yes! At most of our campuses. Check with the campus you’re interested in here!
How can I get started?
What are your admissions requirements?
- Must be at least 17 years old by their projected graduation date.
- Must provide proof of being a standard high school graduate or GED recipient.
- Must provide a valid driver’s license or photo ID and a social security card.
- Must complete and submit a completed Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology application with a $100 non-refundable application fee.
- Be approved for acceptance by the school. The school does not recruit students already attending or admitted to another school offering the same course of study.
- Complete all financial arrangements, applications, and paperwork. In the case you withdraw from the course, no hours or academics will be released until all financial obligations are met or arranged.
**Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, ethnic origin, or religion.
***Official transcripts must be signed, embossed, and sealed for delivery to the school. A high school transcript that is faxed or emailed from the high school may be accepted as long as it contains a cover sheet with the school’s letterhead and a school official’s signature.
Do I need prior experience?
I’m broke. What about me?
Are there any scholarship opportunities?
Can I transfer credits from another cosmetology school?
Do you teach me how to run a business?
Besides teaching students what they need to know for their state board licensing exams, we also teach students how to successfully run a business through Prosper U, our business training program. We help students with their resumes, assist them in putting together a portfolio for potential employers to see, and teach them basic business skills such as clientele building. Prosper U is the newest, most inspiring, and proven-to-work business training program written for today’s hairdresser.
Do you help me find a job after I graduate?
Can I ask more?
Absolutely! Click here to find out more.
Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology is dedicated to giving you the best possible training for a successful career in the wonderful world of beauty.
Find out about the Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology difference!